20 Reasons to Spend Summer in Calgary
Calgary is an awesome city. Okay, we are based there so we may be a teeny-tiny bit biased, but there’s so much to do in Calgary year round that it is always a great time to be there. However, Summer in Calgary holds a special allure, and we wanted to give you 20 reasons to spend this summer in Calgary, or at least part of this summer. Here we go:
- Calgary Ukrainian Fest (June 3 – 4) is a celebration of all things Ukrainian (dance, music, lots and lots of fantastic food). As well as being lots of fun, there’s a strong cultural and educational component, so if this is your heritage, then you can explore that there.
- As soon as the weather warms up, patio dining and drinking is a pleasure that Calgarians embrace whole-heartedly. There are lots of sweet patios in Calgary, and when Open Table put together a list of the best 100 patios in Canada, 11 in Calgary made that list.
- Visiting Canada Olympic Park is super fun in the summer. The ski runs become mountain bike trails, there are scarily long zip-lines, you can ride go-karts down the luge track, enjoy mini-golf, and a bunch of other cool activities.
- Funny Fest (June 1 – 11) is Calgary’s annual Comedy Festival, and sees 70 comics descend on the city to crack you up. If you’re a comedy fan, this is a fantastic time to be in Calgary.
- Getting a shake from Peters’ Drive-In is an essential summer in Calgary experience. The burgers and fries are pretty awesome too. Peters’ has been operating since 1964, and serves up to 4000 shakes a day in the summer.
- Parkland Summer Fest (June 25th) is Canada’s biggest community festival, and besides featuring live music from the likes of Trooper, features a classic car show, tons of kids events and bounce houses, a classic car show, bike race, disc-golf circuit and more.
- In recent years Calgary has been blessed with the opening of some superb ice-cream shops, with Village Ice Cream being one of the absolute best (small-batch, local, artisan deliciousness).
- The second annual JAZZYYC Summer Fest is coming (June 12 – 20). Top jazz performers from across Canada will be playing the festival, including JUNO-award winning guitarist Mike Rud.
- Sled Island Music Festival (June 21 – 25) brings an amazing line-up to Calgary this summer. You can catch Flying Lotus, Shonen Knife, Silver Apples, Guitar Wolf, and loads more super cool bands performing.
- Did you know that you can raft your way down the Bow River right through the city? Rent yourself an inflatable from Lazy River Rentals and enter the river at Baker Park. It’s a super fun way to see a completely different side of the city.
- The epic Calgary Stampede (July 7 – 12) is a definite highlight of the summer in Calgary, and accordingly accommodations book out fast. This year you can catch Johnny Reid, Brooks and Dunn, Alabama, Usher and The Roots, and of course so much rodeo and medway food, and all the other good stuff that comes with the Stampede year after year.
- Calgary Turkish Festival (July 29 – 31) is an annual celebration of Turkish music, dance, food, and culture. Now entering its ninth year, this festival is free and lots of fun.
- When it gets hot, taking a dip in a lake is always wonderful. Head to South Calgary and enjoy the waters of Sikome Lake, which also has a sandy beach to sun yourself on.
- Calgary Folk Fest (July 27 – 30) is going to be awesome this year, with Blue Rodeo, Coeur de Pirate, and Tanya Tagaq headlining (plus many more artists and activities going on over the course of the festival.
- Love EDM? The Terminus Festival (July 28 – 30) is a multi-day electronic dance music festival that brings bands and artists from all over the world.
- Calgary Blues Fest (July 31 – August 6) is a week long celebration of everything blues, with concerts and workshops, and special events. Headliners include Big Bill Morganfield (son of Muddy Waters).
- ReggaeFest (August 17 – 19) is always a blast, and this year you can see a Mexican pioneer reggae band headlining, Antidoping.
- Love food? Then you’ll love Taste of Calgary (August 10 – 13) – a three day food and beverage festival celebrating the very best of what to eat and drink in the city.
- Calgary Dragon Boat Festival (August 12 -13) has racing, food trucks, family activities, beer gardens, and live bands.
- Global Fest (August 15 – 26) is a huge cultural celebration and party with fireworks, 20 cultural pavilions, ethnic food booths, and three stages.
Planning an extended vacation in Calgary this summer? Or is work taking you to the city? We have fabulous, stylish, and super comfortable suites that will be your home away from home while in Calgary. Contact us to see how we can meet your needs, whether you’re travelling solo, with family, or as a group.