20 ways to have the BEST Calgary Summer
Summer in Calgary is HOT! We mean that both figuratively and literally. The weather in Calgary is glorious throughout the summer months, and there’s so much to do that encompasses every possible passion and interest. To spark your imagination for your next Calgary visit, we’re listing our best Calgary summer ideas for you:
- Take a paddle-boarding lesson on the Bow River with Undercurrents. Already know how to use the board without falling flat on your face? Just rent one and head out to one of the glorious lakes around the city instead (Undercurrents also rent inflatable roof racks so you can transport the board).
- Go day drinking on a patio. This handy guide from Avenue Magazine helps locate the perfect patio in Calgary according to factors such as how late each patio is open, how bright or shady it is, whether there is parking, if brunch is served, and other vital info.
- Grab a cone at Village Ice Cream, because this small batch hand crafted ice cream is incredible, It doesn’t matter what flavour you go for, they’re all amazing.
4. Check out the brand new Land of Lemurs immersive exhibit at the Calgary Zoo. So cute!
5. Order the most Instagram worthy milkshake in Calgary at #REGRUB. Really these are desserts in a glass, topped with fun. Varieties include the Alegria, which is topped with a brightly coloured Rice Crispie rainbow, or the ChurroMania, which comes topped with a heart shaped churro.
6. Check out the Calgary Night Market, which runs on July 7, 8, 14, 28 and 29. You can browse the artisan foods and crafts, enjoy live entertainment and karaoke, and bask in the vibes of a warm summer evening.
7. Pick up a gourmet picnic at the River Cafe in Prince’s Island Park for $35, which comes with decadent goodies, linens, and cutlery.
8. Treat yourself to a Gelato Taco at Burger 320. Just went you thought that tacos had finished, here’s something new you just had to try.
9. Watch Shakespeare in the Park nightly until August 27th. Performances of As You Like It take place in Prince’s Island Park, right by the Bow River.
10. Go have a flutter on the horses at Century Downs Racetrack. Racing happens every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday throughout July and August.
11. Head to Heritage Park and take a scenic cruise on the S.S. Moyie paddlewheel boat. Cruises happen every Thursday night through the summer and offer live jazz, gourmet hors d’oeuvres, wine and beer, all while taking in views of the Glenmore Reservoir and Rocky Mountains.
12. Visit the containR pop-up culture hub made out of repurposed shipping containers and check out performance art and unique exhibits all summer long.
13. Go walk with wolves at the Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary, an easy 40 minute drive outside of the city. Definitely an experience for the bucket-list.
14. Take river surfing lessons with the Rocky Mountain River Surfing, because you can actually surf on part of the Bow River right in the city (for reals).
15. Hit Peters’ Drive-in for one of their crazy good classic shakes make with ice-cream (and great burgers too). This Calgary institution has been operating since 1964, so is kind of a big deal to Calgarians. Heading there for a milkshake is a definite Calgary summer thing people have done for generations.
16. Zipline the ski-jump of the 1988 Olympic Games at WinSport. This is North America’s fastest zipline, and you’ll reach speeds of up to 100kmph (so freaky but so awesome).
17. Go take Go Karts for a spin at Shakers, where there’s a pro track for adults and a rookie track for kids (or the cautious).
18. Make it your mission to sample as many of Calgary’s excellent food trucks as possible, perfect for dining in a park or along the river.
19. Grab a frisbee and head to the city’s first 18-hole Frisbee Golf Course at Baker Park.
20. Head to Hot Point Fusion Cuisine for shaved ice, the perfect treat for a hot day. It comes in delicious flavours like honeydew, kiwi, and green-apple jelly or strawberry, pineapple, red bean and mango jelly.
Doesn’t all this sound fun? We have THE perfect accommodations for your next Calgary trip. Come stay in one of our luxurious and comfortable Calgary suites and feel right at home. Contact us to see how we can meet your needs, whether you’re traveling solo, with your family, or with a group.