There’s a lot to love about Calgary. Whether you’re visiting for the first time or planning a move here, there’s always plenty going on (and tons of great new places to eat, drink, shop, and explore). This is an awesome city, and we thought we’d share some interesting cool Calgary facts with you to further stoke your interest.
1) Calgary is a popular filming location Most recently award-winning TV show Fargo was filmed here, but blockbuster movies like Brokeback Mountain, the Bourne Legacy, Superman, and Cool Runnings were all filmed (at least in part) in the city.
2) The average age in Calgary is 35.7 years. This makes it the Canadian city with the youngest demographic, and recent reports on a baby boom in the city mean that median age may drop even further.
3) The Calgary Stampede is the highest grossing festival in North America. It is also the best place to taste medway food, offering up high-calorie super tasty weird and wonderful treats.
4) 25% of Calgarians were born in another country. This of course adds to the diversity of this vibrant city, and makes for a fun dining scene embracing the delicious cuisines of the cultures that have come with all those people.
5) The now iconic Caesar was first mixed at the Calgary Inn (now the Westin) in 1969 by restaurant manager Walter Chell, who was asked to create a signature drink for the Inn’s Italian restaurant.
6) The fastest zipline in North American can be found at WinSport. It’s 500m long with a vertical drop of 100m. It is scary, but thrilling.
7) Calgary is home for many celebrities, including wrestler Bret ‘The Hitman” Hart, actress Elisha Cuthbert, and singer Paul Brandt.
8) You can walk 18km through Downtown Calgary without having to go outside (which is great in the bitter winter months) using the The Plus-15 system.
9) The Calgary Flames used to be the Atlanta Flames. The team relocated to Calgary in 1980 and have been a source of great pride ever since.
10) This spring the Calgary Zoo will have a family of giant panda bears moving in.
11) Calgary is a great city for cyclists: There are 900 km of cycle pathways within Calgary.
12) You can surf the river in Calgary. Seriously.
13) There’s a great view of the Rockies from the top of the 191m tall Calgary Tower, and because you can walk all the way around with unobscured 360 degree views you’ll see all of Calgary laid out before you too.
14) Chinese Canadian classic dish Ginger beef was invented by a chef at Calgary’s Silver Inn.
15) The Telus Spark science centre has adult nights once a month that are super fun to attend, educational, and have a bar!